- When you scale down overhead lighting and use task lighting instead, you light smaller, more effective work areas & cut lighting costs!
- When you reduce overhead lighting, you reduce heat and consequently reduce the costs of air-conditioning.
- Many find eye-strain/CVS symptoms are mitigated with the reduction of glare from overhead lighting.
- Personal task lighting simply presents no downsides; it's an inexpensive & user-friendly light source.
- Lighting accounts for about 20% of electricity consumed in the US.
- Most older four lamp 2x4 overhead office fixtures use about 160 watts per hour.
- Upgrade old overhead lighting and then add task lights to reduce costs by up to 60%.
- Electricity accounts for about 88% of the total cost of light with lamps costing about 4% and labor about 8%.
*from 100 Fast Facts About Energy Efficient Lighting, Energy Efficient Lighting Association website